I saw Oprah last week and she had the Time Magazine Inventor's of the Year. Two women created a way to have your DNA tested by spitting into a small tube and sent to their laboratory. Your DNA is analyzed and results are available in 4-6 weeks. The web address is https://www.23andme.com/. Check it out.
But this poses the question: would you want to know if you have pre-cursors for 90 traits and diseases? This is a huge question. Think about it. You may find out that you carry the gene for Parkinson's Disease. You may be informed that you carry a trait for degeneration of your eyes. With some information, you may be able to assist in the deterring of certain traits and diseases. But, would you want to have to live with the knowledge of your future ailments?
I personally have asked my family to get this kit for me as a 40th birthday present. I am entering into the age of annual body check exams. I would love to know what I should be watching out for and what I can do currently to help my health.
A Slow Cooker Thanksgiving
8 months ago
3 comments:
Hey--- I was over at the doctors today, and stopped at WalMart. Guess what I found in the cake mix section? Duncan Hines has a Tres Leches cake mix!!!! I bought one to try. I will let you know how it is. Oh yeah-- just so you know, possible surgery coming up. I will know more after December 8.
Nope. Don't want to know. I want to live life to its fullest, not being shadowed by a genetic trait that may or MAY NOT actually affect me. Because there are factors like drunk drivers and icy roads, there are no guarantees in life.
Now that I say that and realize that I have just given myself a little motivational speech, I need to get out of this trap of "my oh so stressful life" and start living!
Sorry to use your blog to have a reality check for myself!
Midnight Crafter-
First of all, what surgery and why? I need details please because I am kinda of scared. Second, how was the cake? Miss you!
Post a Comment